Saturday, May 31, 2008

May Part I

It’s been weeks since I’ve posted and it’s been a busy month. So, I’m going to recap the month in a few smaller posts so as not to bore any readers! Here we go…

May part I

After spending the first few days of May trying to get as much cleaning done on the apartment as possible, we were ready to head out on the road for Utah. There was a huge storm coming through the area the night we left, but we pressed on since we had a hotel reservation in Cheyenne, WY for the night. It turned out to be the worst storm I’d seen while living in Nebraska! At one point we could barely see through the windshield because the rain was just pouring down in buckets. Needless to say we weren’t making very good time on that leg of the trip. I kept noticing the greenish color of the sky and remembered hearing somewhere that that means a tornado is coming? I don’t know if that’s right, but I was getting pretty worried.





























About an hour out of town we reached a traffic light (we were still on the highway) and Shafer decided to go through an orange, if you will, light. Luckily the guy behind us decided to follow because a cop pulled him over right after. We congratulated ourselves on our luck for not being the poor sap that got pulled over. Less than ten minutes later we were pulled over for speeding by a different cop. Luckily he gave us a warning and we don’t have to worry about a fine or anything. But, we sure learned our lesson about following the laws of traffic!
The rest of the drive the first night was pretty uneventful. We pulled into our hotel around midnight. My grandparents were kind enough to book the room for us using their hotel points and we didn’t have to worry about staying in a shady place like we did on our first stop in Cheyenne a year ago! Thanks again!
After a good night’s sleep and some free breakfast with waffles we headed out the next day. Shafer and I were both pleasantly surprised with how well the boys handled all the driving. There were definitely some moments of whining and crying that seemed to last an eternity, but we were able to keep them pretty well entertained and fed. They also each took a few short naps which helped pass the time. We never even had to resort to using the video Ipod!
There’s not much to see on the drive but farmland and just plain empty land, so anytime we passed anything different we’d point it out to the boys. Cheeks got really good at mooing at the cows and saying ‘too too’ to the trains that passed. I bought a few new books and some cheapy toys for them to play with on the drive. Big Boy had seen me hiding them before the drive and asked what they were. I told him they were secret things for the drive to Utah. For the next few days he kept asking to play with the secret things. He still calls the two books I got the secret books. He’s a funny kid!
We were so happy to finally drive up the hill to my parent’s house that afternoon. It was a good thing we’d done the trip in two legs because I was exhausted! We spent the evening resting and catching up with my parents.
The next day we went to lunch with Mom, Em, Andrew and the kids up in Kaysville so my Dad could meet us on his break. I enjoyed some long awaited fry sauce, and Cheeks really got into an ice cream cone!




























This post seems long enough, so until next time…

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Lindsey,

I am so glad that you get to be in Utah with family for a while....so how long will you guys be there???? Or are you planning on making it home? We, are getting ready to move to Birmingham Alabama in August for the next 5 years or so. I miss Utah.

Anyway, say hello to Emily for me.

Natalie (Nuzman) Edwards

Moog said...

What an adventure driving home! So glad you made it safe and sound. The pictures are great! Looking forward to seeing you and the boys!