Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentiny things...

This post is a little of everything according to the labels I just put on it. Oh, well, here we go starting with our Valentine's FHE. We actually did it last week and we'll finish up tonight. Each of us got a bag to decorate with hearts and what not. Then we put out a bowl of blank paper to make notes with. Throughout the week we were to write or draw notes to each other about the things we like about each other. The first night the bowl was emptied. The next morning it was emptied again. As you can see this was a big hit! Here's the Love Note station (I know it looks like Valentine's Day threw up on my entryway table, but the rest of the house isn't that bad!):

I also had this idea of a heart explosion or cascade to go on one of our (still) blank walls. I punched out a bunch of hearts in a few colors and went crazy. The boys love it and have amazingly left it alone for the most part!

Another fun project was to make a row of 'lanterns' over our dining room table. They turned out pretty cute and they weren't too hard to make...after the first one :)

And, the biggest project of all this month was completed not a moment too soon, our new granite counter tops! Squeal!!!!!!!
This is the island that I showed being renovated in the last post. Shafer took it apart to make it a rectangle instead of the weird shape it was. It added the lovely space in the middle (which we are still deciding what to do with) and made our counter space quite a bit larger!
I'm so excited to have granite, I get giddy every time I walk into the kitchen. Look at that reflection!!
As I said before it came just in the nick of time. I'll explain why in my next post!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Your counters look great! I would be giddy too.

Miss Kris said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous!! I'm very jealous of your granite, and all your cute Valentine's decorations!

Abby said...

I think Shafer should create some vertical slats for you to put cookie sheets in and 9 x 13 pans. Or horizontal smaller shelves for bowls. I love it!

Lindsey said...

I meant to ask you what those cute bags were hanging in the entryway. Cute idea! Here I thought Shafer made that gap on purpose for cookie sheets and muffin tins! Perfect! It all looks fab! Hope you are recovered! :)