Friday, December 19, 2008

Temple Square Lights

It's been years since I've been to Temple Square at Christmastime to see the lights, so even thought it was cold and windy last night, we hopped in the car and drove up there during 5 o'clock traffic. I figured since it was a Thursday night it would be slightly less crowded than a weekend night or FHE night, and it worked out really well.


We met Em and her family at the Gateway food court for dinner (at McDonald's wahoo!). As soon as we finished eating I started pulling out the warm clothes. We had boots, snow pants, coats, gloves, and hats for the big boys, and Baby M had several layers of pants, socks, jackets, hats, gloves and blankets. Cheeks looked exactly like Ralphy from Christmas Story, especially when he tripped on his boots and fell to the floor where he couldn't get himself up again, he just laid there limp waiting for help.
From the Gateway we took a free ride on Trax over to Temple Square. I think the train ride may have been the highlight of the trip for the kids. Although the adults were a little more concerned with the handful of policemen arresting a homeless man on the corner, and another policeman escorting another homeless man off our train car. What a horrible, cold time to be homeless! (Not that there's ever a good time I guess!)

We got to Temple Square and we were not disappointed with the beautiful lights and nativity scenes. I always wonder how they manage to get lights on the smallest branches of the trees, it's gorgeous!! The kids had a good time and stayed relatively warm, until we got to the reflective pool where Big Boy thought he'd feel the water, without taking his gloves off. Needless to say, his hands were freezing after that!
I know you can't see anyone in this picture, but the tree looks so cool, I had to add it!
I got a tip from Sadie (SIL) about free hot chocolate at the Desseret Book across the street from Temple Square, so we headed over there after the lights. It was nice to let the kids warm up a little bit. Thanks for the tip!

Our camera battery died (grrrr) before we were able to take a family picture, but Andrew took one for us, so hopefully I'll get it to post soon. It was a really fun, Christmassy night, thanks again for coming with us Buckleys!

2 comments:

Your best friend, Ashley said...

max is getting so big we almost didn't even know it was him! that means it is definitely time to come see you guys!

Sarah said...

Oh I miss the Temple Square lights! That's so fun you could go as a family. Merry Christmas!