Friday, February 12, 2010

The Celiac Saga...Part 2

Well folks, I haven't posted in a while. I just haven't felt up to it. I haven't talked about it but I haven't been feeling well for close to a year and a half. I can't even tell you how many times my poor arm has been poked in that time for various tests. After a scope a few weeks ago I finally have a diagnosis, and I don't like it. I have Celiac Disease.
Most of you will remember a similar post close to a year ago regarding Big Boy's diagnosis. Even having a son with Celiac didn't keep me from being completely shocked with this. My symptoms were nothing like Big Boy's were. Plus, we were SURE that it came from Shafer's side of the family. His Grandpa had it, and he has an Aunt and some cousins who eat gluten free because it solved their health problems. So, how in the world do I have it?! My blood test several months ago came back negative for it which left me feeling in the clear. But, a scope is the 'gold-standard' test and it came back positive. What can I do but accept it?
So, another new phase in my life I guess. In a lot of ways I'm forever grateful that Big Boy was diagnosed first to give me a year to figure it out before I had to do it myself. I think if it was me first I would have crawled into bed for a week to mourn the loss of gluten in my life. But, after a year of living semi-gluten free I feel like I can do it.
But, I'm still working on it. Sometimes I get tears in my eyes when I see a commercial for Arctic Circle and realize that I can't just go grab a burger ever again. I know there's so much more gluten free stuff available today than there was 10 years ago, so I shouldn't complain. But, if I ever want pizza, or cake, or cookies, or bread I have to make it myself or pay big bucks to buy it already made. And it will never taste the way it should.
One bright spot in this is Big Boy. Watching the way he deals with these limitations. He has the best attitude. He's never sad about not eating the same things as other people. As long as he has a substitute, he's okay. I'm sure this will change someday, when he's in school or when he's a teenager, but right now he's my example.
I only hope that I can feel better soon. I'm tired of being sick. If I can feel healthy again it will all be worth it.
Okay, thanks for letting me spill my guts. Next post will be more cheerful.

7 comments:

maugers said...

I'm sorry! That would be such a huge shock! I know you'll be able to handle it beautifully, and then you and your son can be in it together, which will be nice for you (and probably him too :) Good luck with all, I'll pass any recipes your way.

Zundel Girls....AND Daddy said...

Linds!!! I had no idea you weren't feeling well!!! What a bad friend I am. I am sorry. In reality, you are being very positive...I'm glad you have Harrison. I love you! Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Meedy said...

Wow Lindsey, I am so sorry! That is crazy. You are amazing at everything you do so I am sure you will shine in being the best gluten free gal and mom around! When we all get to heaven, you can have the Arctic Circle burgers that you need! It will probably be hard to wait that long though! Good Luck with everything!

Moog said...

So sad to hear you haven't been feeling well,but it has to be a relief to know what you are up against. You are such an amazing and strong person. You are going to do fantastic with this life change. It's quiet the different mind set, but you can do it! I hope that you start feeling lots better! Sending you lots of love and good energy!

Rachelle said...

May you be blessed with courage to forge ahead. We hope you feel better soon and find lots of yummy substitutes and alternatives

Sarah said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well! It would be difficult to drop gluten from my diet... but you're so positive, I'm sure you'll be successful. And you'll feel tons better! I work with quite a few people here at the chiropractic college who all eat gluten-free and they say it's made the biggest difference. I'm sure you probably know this... but there's tons of recipe sites that are solely gluten free. I'll pass anything I come across your way!

LAINA said...

I am sorry. I guess I need to go and get the scope as well. My blood test said I don't have it but I still don't feel well and haven't for a long time.

But like you I don't want to go gluten free.