After our long day at the PCC we had a whole weekend in front of us without any real concrete plans. It was lovely! Shafer really wanted to try surfing, so he rented a board and we found a good spot (the locals call it 'the point' so it must be good!). I finished up a book and started a new one, it's what I always dream of when I'm trying to read a book at home, again, lovely!! Shafer didn't have a lot of luck surfing, apparently he needed a longer board, and probably some instruction, but, it was worth a shot!!
I did a lot of research leading up to the trip for places we could eat that would have gluten free options. We ended up eating at some really great places. We only ate at a place you can find on the mainland and that was our first breakfast at McDonalds (where I ate the local plate which was spam and eggs, and yes, I liked it!). The rest of the time we tried out the local flavors and it was yummy! Here we're eating at a hot dog truck. I had a dog and Shafer tried a burger, they were both really good, but don't ask Shafer about how much everything costs!!!
Getting ready to head out to another great restaurant, Haleiwa Joe's. It's a seafood place, and very good. It was our biggest splurge of the trip. My only pictures from there are really dark :( We were laughing at how casual the dress code is in Hawaii. A girl at the restaurant was wearing a bikini with a mesh t-shirt cover up on top. Suffice it to say, we saw a lot of flesh on our trip!! I can see why though, it's so hot and humid there! I ended up wearing several shirts twice just because they were thin and cooler than everything else I packed. I imagined myself getting all gussied up to go out for the day, but the clothes I brought were too hot and every time I put makeup on it just melted off and my hair didn't see a hair drier for the whole week! It was a nice break for me, but hopefully it wasn't an unpleasant surprise for Shafer on our romantic getaway!! :)
We spent part of an afternoon watching some surfers at the Bonzai Pipeline. It's the beach where they have the big surfing competitions every winter. It was awesome to watch! The sand there was really great too, I loved how each beach felt different!
Shafer's become quite a history buff since we got married, so he really enjoyed this.
One last shot at a great lookout over Honolulu:
Oh, we also took a walk along our beach that morning and there was a sea turtle just hanging out on the beach, it was a great farewell!!
It was such a great trip and I know the memories we made that week will be my new happy place to go when things get crazy with the boys at home! I loved spending every minute with my best friend and love of my life. It was a great way to commemorate 10 years of marriage. Plus, I think it's a great tradition to continue. I told Shafer I want to do Europe for our 20th, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and pinch my pennies until then!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment