Friday, March 5, 2010

The lighting effect

I've been surprised by how much I notice lighting in a room. Since we moved into our house I've been extremely bothered by the existing lighting. Our home was built in the 90's so the fixtures were all brass. We changed the most blatantly ugly ones before we hosted Thanksgiving. Here are a couple updates we've made on the slightly less ugly fixtures in the last weeks.
Here's our kitchen light before:

And, here it is after with a fresh coat of white paint (please ignore the crooked pictures):
Another view-you can also see the light above the sink which we sprayed white:
And the dreaded ceiling fans. I thought they were so hideous when we moved in, but they work really well, so it seemed a waste to toss them (this is our bedroom fan):
And, after taking it completely apart and spraying the brass parts white (this is the family room fan):
You probably noticed in some above pictures that we've been painting the walls as well. It's been quite the process trying to paint with three little boys running around. I'll do a post on the paint when we're done. But, I wanted to share with you a really fun spot I painted the other night:
Did the builders just assume that the owners would never want to paint?! I literally painted this spot with a kid paint brush because it was the smallest one we had on hand. Ridiculous!! Oh, well, it's done and I'm GLAD!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

It's amazing what a difference the little things can make! The paint on your living room wall looks great. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Meedy said...

The fixtures look great! That is so cool what a coat of paint will do. I will have to show my honey the fan. We need to do that with ours. I also love the paint color. I really want to paint our inside walls.

Scott and Krista said...

It's crazy what a little bit of paint can do! It looks great!

Rachel said...

I love the updates! The fixtures look so good. I love the color on your wall as well and that corner looks incredible!

Natalie said...

I've been wanting to spray paint our fans. Did you cover the little "vents" to the motor? I don't know the proper term, but the mesh part. I think our fans are just beyond help though. Good job on the updates!