Monday, June 7, 2010

A House of Order FHE

We had a fun (for me) and necessary topic for FHE this week. I think teaching your kids to pick up after themselves and to do jobs around the house is probably a topic that needs to be brought up fairly often to refresh every one's memories. :)

Song: 'When we're helping we're happy' from the Children's song book.
Scripture: D&C 132:8

Lesson: Discuss how we need to have a house of order just like Jesus said. Talk about what order is and what confusion means.

Activity: I dumped a bunch of toy cars on the ground and had them order them in different ways; by color, by size, by type, etc. Talk about what order is.

Next I pulled out some blocks and had them each build their own house of order.

At the end I introduced them to our new chore cards. The blue cards are the things they need to do every day, like pray, get dressed, make your bed, brush teeth, etc.I found them online at this site. I changed them up a little bit for my boys. They were loving just looking through them and recognizing what they were supposed to do. At their ages they won't be doing too much, but I think it's good for them to help with the upkeep of our house. The yellow cards are the actual chores:I've got some hooks to hang them on in their room so they can check them each day. I'll keep the yellow cards and add one or two to their rings each day depending on what needs to be done. I'm hoping that they'll think the cards are fun and that I can keep them interested by putting a fun card in there every once in a while.

We finished by helping them put their room into order. I forget how willing they are to help when you're working with them, I need to do that more often. It's just so easy to tell them to go and do it!! But, then they never do and I end up getting mad. If I just go with them they do most of the work, they just like to work with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, you are a genius and very smart Mom. We enjoyed you all so much this past Sun. See you at La
goon!! Love Mommy and Pops

Abby said...

What a great idea! I bet they will love it and it wilL WORK.

Melissa said...

You always do the best FHE's. Thanks for posting your ideas.