Monday, March 14, 2011

Sabbath Day FHE

We did this for FHE last week.
A new phrase frequently heard around my house is 'I'm bored!' It's driving me crazy! I can usually come up with something for them to do, including chores. But, on Sundays it's a whole different problem because there are certain things we don't do on Sunday.
We began by singing Saturday #196 in the Children's Songbook. Then we read D&C 68:29 which says, 'And the inhabitants of Zion shall also observe the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' We explained that the Sabbath is Sunday. Then we asked them what we can do on Sundays. They came up with a few, then we asked them a few specific questions like can we go to the store on Sunday? Do we do yard work on Sunday? Can we visit family on Sunday? etc.
I had come up with a list earlier of things that are Sunday appropriate that we can do so that when I start hearing, 'I'm bored!' I'll have something to pull out. I just looked up some images online for the activities I wanted and printed them out. I let the boys color them and help me glue them onto the sheet. There is a dice to go with it so we can roll it to find out what activity we can do. The categories are: Color/Write in Journal, Walk/Visit, Read Scriptures/ Friend/ Books, Write Letters to Family/Missionaries, Play Games/Puzzles, and Make a Treat. Obviously there are other things you could add to the list, but these are some things that work for our family.
We were going to play a game after but my boys spent so much time coloring that we ran out of time before bed. For the game I had gathered together items to represent the chores from the Saturday song (nail file, shoe polish, lint brush, grocery bag, etc.). I was going to lay them out in front of the boys, then have them all close their eyes or leave the room while I took one away, then they had to guess which item was gone. Then they each could have had a turn.
Our Sunday yesterday ended up being a little hectic as we visited some family so we didn't get a chance to pull our Sunday list out, but at least we were doing something from the list! ;)

1 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your themed FHE ideas! We'll have this one on our list.