Since I've done a post about Monkey and Big Boy, I've gotta tell about my sweet Cheeks! We all loved to hear him talk as he used w's for r's and l's. He cured himself of it with no encouragement from us. I was so sad to hear it go, but glad that he figured it out on his own. The result of this is kind of strange though. He now speaks with kind of a cowboy accent. It's so hard to explain, but it takes him some effort to say his r's and l's and it makes him sound a bit twangy. It's been funny to watch. I'm finding that he can figure anything out on his own if he's determined enough!
He also learned how to write his name without ANY help from me! I remember spending a lot of time with Big Boy helping him figure out how to write his name, and that was after he started preschool and he needed to be able to put his name on his papers. Cheeks got an alphabet book for his birthday and went through the whole thing, not wanting any help. Shortly after finishing the book he started writing his name on his artwork:
Now, I'm sure he copied it from something or had help from Big Boy the first few times, but he can now do it all by himself!
I'm also amazed at how well he can draw. He's always wanting me to draw cars from the Cars movie, but he's figuring out how to do his own now:
I also love how he colors. He's so good at staying in the lines. I think he's going to be quite the perfectionist like his daddy:
He's a real tender guy. He has yet to realize that he's the biggest of the brothers and he is frequently the victim of their little squabbles and wrestling matches. I don't encourage fighting, but somehow I feel like if he could just give his brothers a good shove one time he might realize his strength and stop with the crying!
I've had the hardest time trying to figure out how to motivate this kid. I can't tell you how many times he's ended up putting on his shoes and socks in the car because he didn't do it the 5 times I asked him to before we leave. He just gets distracted to easily and goes into his little Cheeks world where it's so hard for me to get his attention. I'm sure someday I'll be glad that he's got such focus when he's able to sit down and work on his homework or something, but for now I just need to figure out how to harness it!
We love our little Cheeks (I guess he's our big Cheeks)! I can't believe how big he's getting. He'll be starting preschool this fall, I'll have 2 boys in school!
For now he's excited about our new baby on the way which he's named either Coco or Finnigan depending on whether it's a boy or a girl.
We love you Cheeks!
2 comments:
He's so cute! Isn't it funny how you spend so much time making sure your oldest is where they should be and then the second one is suddenly recognizing letters and you have no idea how?
This was a great post. It reminded me of Shafer or bonger man when he was coming up through the ranks. I don`t know what it was that was so distracting. {probably the FOCUS you speak of} but he was always forgeting what we asked him to do. He was always sorry and would say ``Oh yeah!`` as he then remembered the request from us. Thus he became to ``oh yeah`` child. They are all precious. Love Pops
Post a Comment