Thursday, February 5, 2009

I feel so VIOLATED!!!!!

About 10 this morning one of our neighbors from upstairs knocked on the door to inform me that someone had broken into our van! His car was also broken into and he noticed the doors were open on our van as he was headed into the elevator so he stopped by to let us know.
So, I trudged downstairs with the boys in tow to check out the damage. Luckily there was no damage to the car and we really don't keep much in it anyway. All of the storage compartments were open and all our maps and coupons and other various items were strewn all over the front seats. I got in to take a closer look and got the heeby jeebies thinking of someone else sitting in my car going through my stuff!
Like I said before, we don't keep much in the car, so they only got away with an RCA cable we use to hook our Ipod up to the stereo, my knock-off Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses from Chinatown in NYC (how am I going to replace those?), and our insurance and registration papers. I'm more nervous about the papers than anything else! I don't like someone out there having personal information about me! I called the insurance and they assured me that there's no way they can use the information. I filed a report with the police online (is there anything you can't do online now?). I drove to the DMV to get a replacement registration with 3 kids in tow (they're not open on Fridays anymore and I didn't want to be driving around all weekend without it!).
I was looking online about what can happen when someone has that information and found that a new way people are stealing cars is by taking their registration to the dealership and getting new keys made for a car using the VIN number, then going back to the car and just driving away! Can you believe that!?! I've been so paranoid about it that I actually went out and bought a steering wheel lock (you know, like The Club) so that if that is what they're trying to do they won't be able to do it!
I figure we'll be moving out by summer, so if I can just make it through a few more months here I'll have a garage soon enough. This seemed like such a nice place when we moved in, but we've been growing weary of it for the last few months. Our neighbors directly above us are partiers on the weekends and they stay up all night drinking, then around 5 the next morning we can hear them coming down the walk outside our bedroom window staggering around and having loud and slurry conversations. Incidentally the guy who told us about our van this morning believes it was the partiers who did the breaking in. Also, (apologies to my animal loving readers, but...) there are so many dogs in these condos and mostly their owners do a good job of cleaning up after them, but when you find poop in the elevator or in the path from the elevator to your car, I get a little upset!
So, needless to say, after today I'm very much looking forward to getting out of here asap!
You're probably all thinking that I live in the ghetto now, but these are actually really nice condos that are only a few years old. The people who are the problem here are renters and they are really junking the place up! I honestly do not know what would make a person break into a car! I mean, they're sitting there going through empty kid movie DVD cases (luckily all the DVDs were in the player and you can't get them out without turning on the car) in a van with 3 carseats, how could they not feel like they were stealing from children?! And, they got away with what? maybe $50 worth of stuff. It seems like a big risk getting in and out of a bunch of cars rummaging around and for such a little payoff! I mean, go get a job somewhere! I saw a help wanted sign at McDonalds; I mean before you get desperate enough to steal, try flipping some burgers!!!

7 comments:

Moog said...

SERIOUSLY! I don't know how you could get to that point. I'm so sorry for your stress and heartache over this. I can only imagine how violated and terrible this has been. I'm sorry to know it has happened to you. GOOD LUCK with the last few months that you are there. Hopefully it is much more peaceful! Much love!

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh! That's scary! I can't even imagine.

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! That is awful! I am glad that you didn't leave your purse in there or something else. I am glad that it wasn't worse! If it makes you feel any better,we have had the same problem in our neighborhood and we have garages! The robbers go in side doors or get in when a garage has been left open. The police say these criminals are not the lowest of low class, they are those looking for a little cash to pay their mortgages/rent or car payments. It is sad that the economy has turned people to stealing just to get by!

Your best friend, Ashley said...

i can't believe this! i am so sorry. more than losing stuff- i hate losing trust in people. i get all paranoid and shifty when bad things happen and everyone becomes a suspect. can't people just be good!?!

i hope things work out. if not, you can always move to logan. it is one of the top ten safest cities in america.

tagraves said...

Oh my goodness I totally feel your pain. This happened to me and my neighbors twice in 5 months! They got a lot of stuff from me the first time $2800 worth to be exact but it was all in my trunk. They actually took the time to pop the stupid trunk! Yah,the second time was a quickie and they just bashed in the window. Now the only thing I keep in my car is jumper cables, an extra pair of grubby shoes and a blanket. STupid thieves....

Kelli said...

Yick. I'm so sorry. Kind of cool that you are a Club owner now, though ;)

And ironic that you lived in Jersey for a year, but had to get broken into in Sandy! (Although your town in Jersey was really nice)

See Mack Snow said...

Ah, Linds, that sucks. :( I'm sorry.