Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Since we moved in...

Well, we've been in the new house for a week and a half and we've already made a few changed and spent quite a bit of money on some things we hadn't thought about. First, here are some fun little changes and projects we worked on.

  1. The outdoor lights were hideous. The front lights were a rusty, chippy white and the back lights were a rusty, chippy bronze. Enter black spray paint and a few hours of figuring out which breaker turns off what and scrubbing and rehanging fixtures and you have:
  2. We debated for a long time (I know we've only been in the house 1 1/2 weeks but this goes from almost the moment we put an offer in on the house) about where to put the TV since the family room area is pretty small. We figured eventually we'll finish the basement and have a nice huge room for the TV. But, until then we've gotta make due with our current room (which is fine!). I was initially opposed to mounting it over the mantle because I didn't want to have cords everywhere and I wanted to use the mantle for other decorative purposes. However, I was eventually swayed since it really is the most practical use of the space. And, since I have an amazingly talented engineer for a husband, he figured out a way to hang it without a single cord showing! Genius! He even mounted the DVD player behind the TV so you can't see it from the front and we don't have to have another piece of furniture next to the mantle to hold it! Yay!
  3. My piano arrived! This piano belonged to my sweet Aunt D'Ann who passed away 2 years ago and left it to me. My parent's have been keeping it for me until I had a home of my own to put it in. It's such a beautiful piano and I love thinking of my Aunt as I play it!
  4. I didn't take a picture of this, but Shafer removed the door to our master bedroom closet. It opened into the bathroom and you couldn't open the vanity drawers (or do anything else for that matter) when it was open. I really like having a more open space in there!

  5. In the last week we bought: grass trimmer (weed eater), blower, ladder, paint and supplies to do the ceilings, TV mount and other hardware, antenna, Internet set up, and more small items that add up to probably the most money we've spent in a week, ever!

Needless to say, it's been a busy week and a half, but it's been fun! We're enjoying having some projects to work on and seeing the potential in this house. I'm starting to believe my good friend, Natalie, who affectionately calls her house 'the Money Pit!'

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is brilliant to put the tv above the mantle without a cord showing. Mother and I are expecting great piano players from all three boys? Love you all. Mommy and Pops

Sarah said...

Ha, the Money Pit is a great movie. I'm hoping that doesn't really happen to you. Everything looks so nice!

Rachelle said...

clever to spray paint your outside light fixtures. Congrats on the house.

Camille said...

So fun putting a house together! Where did you move to? We need to get together!

Meedy said...

Love the light fixtures. I need to do that to mine! I have actually thought of spray painting them but haven't been brave enough to do it. Yours look GREAT. Good to know that they turn out! So, did you take the glass out or tape it off?

maugers said...

It looks great, all of it! The best gift we ever got for a housewarming was a gift card to home depot...I think lots of money always goes into a new home :)

Lindsey T said...

I'm glad the lights are a hit! We completely took the first one apart, then sprayed it. Then we realized we could leave some of it together, so we did that for the rest of them. But, I always took the glass out so I could wash it anyway, so there was no taping involved.

See Mack Snow said...

Linds, I love that you guys have a house! Congrats!

LAINA said...

i made my blog private. if you email me your email address i will add you. lainacampbell@gmail.com