Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Frankenstein Head

This first picture is mostly placed in this order as a buffer. The object that caused the dent in this corner wall was Big Boy's head. For the squeamish out there you may just want to know that he received quite a cut from doing so, but he is now okay. If you'd like to know more and see a potentially gross picture, proceed.

We were celebrating my sister's birthday at my parent's house when it occurred. We were just getting ready to head home when the boys were running circles around the house carrying balloons in their wake. Big Boy tripped (on his own feet?) and plunged head first into the above corner. There was blood everywhere. I was already feeling super woozy so I sent Shafer with my brother-in-law to take him to the insta-care. The blood had mostly stopped flowing when Shafer took this picture:
Apparently the nurse was able to show Shafer Big Boy's skull. Shudder! I'm glad I wasn't there to see it! After cleaning out the wound they put 9 staples in his head. I didn't realize that staples were an option. Too bad this didn't happen right before Halloween or we could have had a built-in costume. Our instructions were to keep neosporin on it constantly and not to get any water on it for 10 days. Great, no baths, but a greasy head to attract all kinds of dirt (and sand).
We made it through the 10 days without incident. Here's what it looked like the day the staples were removed (and after a much needed shampoo):
Luckily the cut is in his hair so you can't even see the scar (when parted normally).
On a side note, one of the offending balloons that inspired the craziness that caused the crash, continued to float in our house for 4 weeks. Is that normal? We were impressed!

4 comments:

Meedy said...

Oh my goodness! You are one brave mama! I don't know how I would react to blood and staples, etc.

Lindsey said...

Holy Cow! I had no idea this happened! Yikes, Yikes, YIKES! That is a gaping wound! Poor little guy! That scar is barely noticable and such a clean line! Glad he's ok!

Melissa said...

That is scary! It looks like it healed up really well, but the first picture made me feel a little queasy. I'm glad that it happened when both you and Shafer were around; I'm afraid something like that's going to happen when it's just me and the kids and that I might freak out. It sounds like you did a good job though.

I'm excited about your backyard coming along. That's going to be so nice to have done!

Abby said...

What! I never heard any of this. By the looks of that wall I knew the cut wasn't going to be pretty. It weren't!