Last night for FHE I had nothing planned. Shafer was at work, so it was just me and the boys. I asked Big Boy what he wanted to talk about for FHE and he said, "Follow the prophet!" How could I refuse?
I quickly checked my usual resources; online and the new nursery manual; and came up with a quick, fun lesson.
We started out by playing follow the leader. My boys have to have a flashlight in hand when we play this, I'm not sure why, but it makes the leader feel special. We each took a turn being the leader. On my turn I led them back to the couch for the lesson.
I started by telling them that we have a leader in the church that we follow just like when we we play follow the leader, do you know who it is? They both answered correctly; the prophet. I then asked them who the prophet was and Big Boy answered correctly; President Monson. Cheeks continued to repeat the name all evening. I showed them the cover of the May conference Ensign with a picture of President Monson. I explained that if we are going to follow the prophet we need to know what he's telling us to do.
I had quickly looked through his talks and found a good little snippet to share with the boys that they would hopefully remember. It came from his address in the priesthood session, (that made it a good one for me too since I hadn't read it yet!). The talk is titled Be Your Best Self and he shared '3 suggestions which, when observed and followed, will lead us to safety.'
1 Study diligently
2 Pray fervently
3 Live righteously
I simplified them to:
1 Read scriptures
2 Pray
3 Choose the Right
I showed them a Book of Mormon, a picture of a child praying from the Gospel Art Kit and Big Boy's CTR ring he got in primary to help them remember the 3 suggestions. We went through them a few times and they were able to repeat them to Shafer when he got home from work.
After that we sang the chorus to Follow the Prophet from the Children's Songbook.
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet, don't go astray!
Follow the prophet, follow the prophet,
Follow the prophet, he knows the way!
It was super simple and I think it went over really well with the boys!
0 comments:
Post a Comment