Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Treasure Hunt FHE

We did this for Family Night on Monday and it was a big hit. I actually made the clues for the hunt back when we lived in Nebraska and we used it once there. So, this is something you can use over and over again, just leave a few months in between so the little ones forget about it! (This is an activity for ages 2-5; you could make the clues harder for older ages).

What you’ll need:
I drew and colored some pictures of familiar objects around the house (crib, TV, fridge, toybox, etc.) on some 3X5 index cards. (These are sort of like Blue’s Clues; picture clues).


Luggage lock and key
Book of Mormon
Tissue paper
Box or bag to lock the treasure in. Anything with two zippers that you can lock together would work. The bag I used was the packaging for a play rug.
A treat to hide under the Book of Mormon (I used fruit snacks)

Wrap the Book of Mormon up in tissue paper and hide a treat in there somewhere. Put in the box or bag and lock it up with the luggage lock. Tape the first clue on the bottom of the treasure box/bag.
Have the kids hide out in a room you won’t need for the hunt and set up the hunt. Make sure to hide the key at the end.
We called the boys in for Family Night and had the Treasure Box sitting out on the counter. They immediately got excited. Explain to them that Heavenly Father has given us a very important treasure to help us through life. It’s like a map that tells us how to get to a treasure.
Ask them to try to open the box/bag. When they can’t, ask them what they need. My boys immediately shouted out ‘a key!’ Tell them to look at the box/bag for a clue. Then the hunt begins. My boys were running around like crazy and shouting with glee each time they found a new clue.
When they find the key have them open the treasure to see what’s in side. This is where you give a quick lesson about why the scriptures are a treasure. This is also where the treat will come in handy. My boys lost interest seconds after seeing the Book of Mormon, so I told them to look in the bag again and they found the fruit snacks and happily sat and ate them while I expounded on the lesson a bit. They were much happier discussing the scriptures with some sugar in their mouths!
It was a big hit and they wanted to do the hunt again immediately. We did it a few more times and the last time I put the treasure chest at the end with some crayons and coloring books for them to color in.
You could use this for tons of other lessons like following the prophet or listening to parents; when you follow the prophet (the clues) you’ll be blessed (the treasure). Like I mentioned above you can make the clues harder for older kids, using riddles or primary song lyrics.
Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I thought I’d share it on my blog since I’m always looking for good FHE activities for little ones!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, that does sound like fun! I'm tucking this idea away until we have kids... thanks!!

Anonymous said...

After we see all you do and think, we know that you two will be fabulous leaders and are already great parents. Thank you for the great post. Love Mommy and POps

Michelle said...

I just have to tell you a BIG thank you for this idea, it was a hit for FHE tonight! Thanks!! Loved it!