Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Prayer FHE

We had another fun FHE this week. We showed a picture of Enos from the gospel art kit and talked about the importance of saying our prayers and that Heavenly Father answers them.

Then we talked about the importance of being reverent when we pray. I found this cute little poem online (I'm pretty sure it's from the Friend back in the 80's), then made some little puppets to go along with it.

Shhh … it’s time for prayer!

The bunny hops up in the air.
Please tell him “Shhh … it’s time for prayer!”

The small mouse squeaks behind the stair.
Please tell him “Shhh … it’s time for prayer!”

The young duck quacks without a care.
Please tell him “Shhh … it’s time for prayer!”

We went through the poem several times and the boys each wanted to trade off which animal they held. Everytime we've prayed since last night and the boys are struggling to be quiet I'll say "Shhh ... it's time for prayer!" and they both get really quiet.

Then for a treat we had ice cream sundaes and with each topping we talked about the 4 steps of prayer; 1-Dear Heavenly Father, 2-We thank thee for..., 3-We ask thee for..., 4-In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

We had a fun night and I think (fingers crossed) the boys even learned something!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Keep the ideas coming! Last night we did the scripture treasure hunt and the kids loved it. After dinner tonight, Carson asked if we were doing a treasure hunt again!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the idea for next week! I now don't have to do elaborate plans, just read your blog, steal your ideas and my family thinks I am the best! Thanks, all the credit goes to you!

Meedy said...

What a great idea. I like it because it is simple and would be easy for my boys (1 and 3) who have small attention spans! Thanks for the idea.

Michelle said...

It is late and here I sit preparing my first primary lesson. I am at a loss of what to do and then I remember this little post you did! I totally stole the poem as the activity for the kids. THanks a million! You really saved me! :)Please keep them coming.