Sunday, August 2, 2009

Pioneer Day Fun!

We ended up spending two days celebrating Pioneer Day this year. Bountiful does their big celebration on the 23rd, so we headed on up for Handcart Days. They have a few rides, some games, food, and entertainment set up. The games were perfect for the boys, who went to the fish pond 3 or 4 times each. The guys working the booth were our best buds by the end and were letting us make requests.

Here's Cheeks with his loot.And, Big Boy enjoying his prizes.
This was a great moment when Big Boy realized his dinosaur toy was in fact a squirt gun and proceeded to squirt his Daddy with the gun pointing the wrong way. As you can imagine, he was quite surprised when it was his face that ended up wet, and not Daddy's!
The food, games, and rides there are very reasonably priced, so we were able to do a bit more than we usually would in a similar situation. I thought it would be fun to buy the boys a cotton candy to share. In my mind I imagined us walking down the booths all sharing and enjoying the treat.
However, this is what occurred:

The boys buried their faces in the candy and it was literally gone in minutes. Even Monkey enjoyed the sugary goodness.


After a rest we headed up to Grandpa and Grandma Mimi's for a good view of the fireworks. Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries a few pictures in, and they weren't very good. The evening was great, with yummy food, good company and great fireworks!
On actual Pioneer Day Shafer played in an epic golf game with his Dad, Brother, and my Dad which ended up taking over 5 hours. I think I would have died if I were there! But, they had fun.
I went to Provo and hung out with his sisters and Mom while we waited for the golfers to return. Shafer's Mom is a genius and brought some bubble wrap for the kids to play with. It sounded just like fireworks and the kids were adorable jumping all over it! Plus, she brought popsicles which were also gone in minutes!


It was a great holiday, I just love summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have enjoyed all of your great posts and loved the little video of Charlie. Keep them coming! Mommy and Pops

Abby said...

That bubble wrap idea is great! I'll have to remember that. I'll do it off season and see if I can get the law over here. Then I'll act all innocent, "What fireworks??" hehe.