Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Big Boy is 5!!!

I can't believe my Big Boy is 5!! That means I've been a Mom for 5 years and that seems weird! Although, most of the time I can't even remember what my life was like before kids! Shafer and I lovingly refer to that time as LBK (Life Before Kids) whenever we remember how easy it used to be to head out to a movie or go out to dinner.
Anyway, Big Boy had his birthday last week and it was an event that we'd been counting down to for months! Luckily this 5 year old is easy to please, so we had a pretty laid back day.

We started out with presents in the morning. Here he is first thing:
He got a new Lightning McQueen shirt, which was the hit of the day. He also got lots of coloring and activity books, which are his favorite thing!
He had preschool and I got to come to talk about him to his class. We made a poster with pictures of him and pictures of his favorite things. He was loving the attention! Then we passed out Peeps to the class because that's one of his favorite treats.
Right after preschool we hurried over to Chipotle for lunch with Daddy, Grandpa & Grandma, and my sister and her kids. It was a fun and slightly crazy lunch! (Note Cheeks with the shades on still!)
Thanks for coming everyone, it really made his day!!
The whole fam!
My Mom, Em, and the kids came over to our house after to play for a while. He got to open a present from his cousins, a Lightning McQueen pillow. Em kept apologizing for the gift saying her kids picked it out and wouldn't back down. I assure you this toy has been well loved! My boys are constantly sneaking it from each other!
I tried my hand at a Lightning McQueen cake since it's Big Boy's favorite (as you can tell by how many times that blasted car is mentioned in this post!). It's simple, but I think it turned out cute:
The only problem with putting an actual car on the cake is it's too darn tempting. Cheeks couldn't wait I guess:
After cake we let Big Boy lead the way. He wanted to play hide & seek, tag, duck duck goose, simon says and puzzle racing. He of course won every game. Here are the puzzle race competitors:
After putting him to bed we could hear him in his room talking to himself about the fun events of the day. So, when Shafer's parents called and wanted to sing Happy Birthday to him we pulled him out of bed. After their phone call he just wanted to talk so he sat on our bed and chattered away. After a while Shafer and I were drifting off to sleep to the sound of his little voice so we finally put him to bed.
It was a nice, easy going day. I'm sure these easy birthdays will end when he starts wanting friend parties, but it's been nice while it lasted!!
We sure love our Big Boy! He's such a smart funny little guy and our lives would be dull without his enthusiasm!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't believe he's five! I remember coming to see you at the hospital and Mike and I not knowing if you guys could hang out anymore now that you had a kid (for the six weeks before Little Man came :). Happy Birthday Big Boy!

Meedy said...

Cute Cake. It looks like you had a fun day. Love the sock post too!